Christopher Ganer (c.1750-c.1811) was born in Leipzig and it is believed he learned his craft there or the surrounding area of Saxony. He immigrated to London around 1774 as part of a well known group of piano makers who moved to London during this period, and helped turn it into one of the centers of piano manufacturing in Europe. Ganer had several different workshops in London on the same street where they made harpsichords, spinets, and pianos, but his specialty was square pianos. Most of these squares are single action and overdamped, with the tuning pins to the right and two to three hand stop levers. His workshops were located at 22 Broad Street and 47 Broad Street. Ganer’s pianos are known for being of very high quality.
Clinkscale, M., 2006. Makers of the piano, 1700-1820. 1st ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press, p.113.
Palmieri, R. and Palmieri, M., 2003. Encyclopedia of Keyboard Instruments. 2nd ed. New York: Routledge, p.149.
Schott, H., 1998. Catalogue of musical instrument in the Victoria and Albert Museum Part One: Keyboard Instruments. London: Victoria & Albert Museum, p.152.