The Weber Piano Company was founded in 1852 by Robert Weber (1828-1879). Weber was born in Bavaria, was a skilled pianist before immigrating to the United States in 1844. He trained under Charles J. Holder and began to work in the factory of D.J. Van Winkle. In 1851 Weber started his own piano manufacturing firm and started to slowly grow the business, despite several setbacks. Weber pianos gained a reputation for being built by highly skilled craftsmen using only the best materials, rather than for innovative design. The company was passed down to Robert Weber’s son Albert Weber Jr. (1858-1892) upon Robert’s death in 1879. Albert Weber Jr. expanded the company across the country as well as overseas. In 1887 Weber pianos were shown at the American Exhibition in London, and shortly after a factory was established in London to fulfill demand for Weber pianos in Europe. After Alfred Weber’s death in 1892 the company survived several take-overs and mergers, and in 1903 was finally purchased by Henry B. Tremaine (1866-1932) and renamed the “Aeolian, Weber Piano and Pianola Company.” The company continued to make quality pianos until the company went bankrupt and was sold overseas.
Palmieri, R. and Palmieri, M., 2003. Encyclopedia of Keyboard Instruments. 2nd ed. New York: Routledge, p.445-446.