Pierre Antoine Daniel Bernhardt established his firm in Paris in 1824. His first workshop was located at 6 Rue de Touraine in the Marais district in Paris, he moved later to 25 Rue Bleue. By 1839 Bernhardt’s factory employed sixty workers. Bernhardt’s pianos won bronze medals in the Paris exhibition in 1827, 1834, and 1844. One Paris review of 1839 describes Bernhardt’s pianos as having soundboards with “sonic vigor” and keyboards with “an easy play” which helped make his establishment “one of the capital’s most important.”
Clinkscale, M., 1999. Makers of the Piano Volume 2, 1820-1860. 1st ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press, p.29.
Lieveverbeeck.eu. Facteurs de pianos en France entre 1800 et 1829. [online] Available at: <https://www.lieveverbeeck.eu/pianos_francais_1800_1829.htm>.