Collard & Collard

Frederick William Collard (1772-1860) and William Frederick Collard (1776-1866) were brothers who made pianos in London, England. Since 1800 both brothers were involved with making pianos with Clementi & Co. and eventually succeeded the firm until they were purchased by Chappell Piano Co. in 1929. The Collard brothers made several patents that improved upon the mechanism of the piano, and in the Great Exhibition of 1851 they won a medal for these improvements.

Literature references: Clinkscale, Martha Novak. Makers of the Piano: 1820-1860. Vol. 2, Oxford University Press, 1999.