Johann Baptist Streicher (1796-1871) was the son of piano maker Maria Anna “Nannette” Stein (1769-1833) and Johann Andreas Streicher (1761-1833). In 1812 Johann Baptist Streicher began to work in the workshop founded by his mother and by 1823 he had become a partner of the firm. Johann Baptist Streicher developed a number of patents for new piano mechanisms. In 1824 he received a five year permission to build pianos with a downstriking action, and the next year he received the same permission for an octave coupler. In 1832 the factory became known as the “Streichersche Pianoforte Fabrik” which indicated that Nanette had retired from the business. That retirement did not last long however, as both Nanette and Johan Andreas Streicher died in 1833. After this, the firm was renamed to “J.B.. Streicher.” During this time, the firm built a diverse range of pianos, making pianos containing English, Viennese, as well as Anglo-German actions. In 1857, Johann Baptiste’s son Emil Streicher (1836-1916) became a partner of the firm and two years after that, the firm’s name changed to “J.B. Streicher und Sohn.” By this time the business had begun to slowly suffer as it could not keep production at a level that competed with other Viennese piano manufacturers. In 1896, 25 years after Johann Baptist’s death, Emil Streicher liquidated the company.
Clinkscale, M., 1999. Makers of the piano, 1820-1860. Vol. 2, Oxford: Oxford University Press, p.289-290.
Palmieri, R. and Palmieri, M., 2003. Encyclopedia of Keyboard Instruments. 2nd ed. New York: Routledge, p.384-385.